Sleep Well: The Truth About Wrinkle-Free SheetsFebruary 6, 2020
Why do people seem to hate wrinkles? What is it about being wrinkle-free that is so appealing? If you do an internet search on getting rid of wrinkles, you will find all kinds of things from clothing, to face creams, to bed linens. So, okay, we get it. We have become a society of easy and quick. Also, it is easy to pull sheets out of the dryer and put them on the bed with no ironing, and thus, no wrinkles. Right? But at what cost to you?
How could having no wrinkles in your bedsheets be a bad thing? Can wrinkle-free linens actually be harmful to your health? Shouldn’t you feel safe when you lay your head on your pillow at night?
Wrinkle-free sheets just didn’t start growing out of the ground. The fibers are chemically treated to reduce the wrinkling. Chemicals? Yep.
Gone are the days when you washed your laundry, hung it to dry on a clothesline, then took each piece inside and ironed it. We are a nation of convenience, so throughout the years, science has discovered a way to make our clothing and linens “wrinkle-free”. But could that process be making us sick?
The process, known as finishing, is done when the manufacturer coats the fibers with a resin that makes the fibers stay in place. It makes them appear wrinkle-free. This is either done by soaking or gassing the fabric with formaldehyde and then baking it into the fabric. And although your sheets will look all pretty and crisp, the formaldehyde can actually leak out through washing, wearing, or using. Formaldehyde is primarily used as a preserving chemical. For what, you ask? Embalming.
So what is the big deal, you ask? First of all, formaldehyde exposure has several side effects. It can be breathed into your lungs or absorbed in through your skin. Symptoms differ with the amount of exposure and sensitivity, but generally include nausea, skin irritation, and respiratory issues. Severe or prolonged exposure can cause cancer and other serious diseases.
Secondly, there is no required label disclosure in the United States stating what chemicals, if any, are used in textile processing. The consumer remains uninformed and therefore, is put at risk.
So is this a necessary evil? Are you stuck with wrinkles versus toxins? What can you do?
Obviously, the first solution is to buy sheets that are not wrinkle-free. Stay away from wrinkle-free, wrinkle-resistant, perma-pressed, etc. All of these sheets have been chemically treated for easy care. The label will use these descriptions as selling points but avoid them. Opt for sheets that are not wrinkle-free. Check out some of our offerings here.
Buy percale sheets. Percale woven cotton is cool, crisp, durable, and long-lasting. Be careful of thread count misrepresentations. Thread count is the number of vertical and horizontal threads that cross per square inch in the fabric. Some manufacturers make claims of 1000 thread count, but is that really possible? Some counts are misleading because the manufacturer uses thinner thread, thus, getting a higher count. Our sheets have 500 thread count and they are soft and luxurious.
Also, be cautious of “feeling the fabric” before purchasing. What feels soft in the store, may be chemical additives that wash out in the first load of laundry. Pima cotton becomes more comfortable with each wash. Isn’t that what you want?
When buying sheets that are not wrinkle-free or wrinkle-resistant, there are a few things that you can do to minimize the wrinkling.
- After washing and drying, take them out of the dryer immediately and put them on the bed. As you make the bed, smooth from side to side with your hands. This will minimize the wrinkling that you will find in any untreated cotton.
- Drag out the iron. Maybe you thought you wouldn’t need it anymore but the iron is not a vintage item that only Grandma used. If you want to further decrease wrinkling, put the iron on the cotton setting and press. Your sheets will be crisp and wrinkle-free.
- Embrace the wrinkles! Who wouldn’t sacrifice a few wrinkles in the name of comfort and luxury?
There are obviously several benefits of not being wrinkle-free. After all, we spend one-third of our life in bed, we should want that time to be comfortable, healthy, safe, and luxurious. We should never knowingly expose ourselves and the ones we care about, to toxins in our beds. By avoiding wrinkle-free or resistant sheets, we are avoiding the carcinogen, formaldehyde. By buying non-wrinkle-free sheets, you are protecting your family while maintaining the comfort and luxury that you want.
What to Do
- Make the switch to non-wrinkle free sheets now. Get rid of the wrinkle-free sheets that you have and replace with the new ones. Opt for quality and durability.
- Shop smart. Try a proven brand that has been researched and has glowing customer reviews.
- Spread the word. An informed public is a safe public. Those around you may not be aware of the hazards in wrinkle-free sheets. Formaldehyde can cause cancer and is associated with several other illnesses.
- If you are showing any of the above listed symptoms, you can have your home tested for formaldehyde content. There are environmental testing companies that can assist with this. You can also buy home test kits that you can do yourself.
Our sheets are made from 100% Pima cotton. They are percale weave with a 500 thread count. They have been researched and tested for the highest quality and durability. Check out our products and the many reviews from our satisfied customers. You will not be sorry you did. You will be making a giant step forward in keeping your family safe, while enjoying high-quality products. Have questions? Contact us today!
Shop the Post